The Whoopie pies made their entry into the culinary culture. But what is it? It's just a small "sandwich". The Amish Mothers used the rest of the chocolate cake batter to make little sandwiches and put it in the bag of their Childrens. And the name ?? Simply the shall of the children when they discovered the "surprise" :)
In honour of my mom, I took HER chocolate cake recipe which I used for my Whoopies.
Ingredients for 15 Whoopies pie:
- 100g dark chocolate
- 75g sugar
- 50g butter
- 2 eggs
- 50g of fluff
- 1 egg white
- 20g butter
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Separate the whites from the yolks. Beat the yolks with the sugar.
- Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until hard.
- Melt the chocolate with the butter then add to egg yolks.
- Gently mix the above mixture with the whites.
- Use a piping bag to make 30 round spaces on a sheet of baking paper.
- Bake for 10 min.
For the filling.
- Beat the egg whites. Melt the butter.
- Add the butter and fluff with egg whites and beat with an electric beater.
- Use a pipping bag, put the filling on a cake part and then delicately close the sandwich with another cake by turning a little.
The best is to let them rest in the fridge. The interior will be harder and the cake will be nice and moist. So yes you need to be patient for the best :)